Single Mothers Grants in West New York, New Jersey

Last Updated on January 15, 2024 by Lori Pace

The following are grants for single parents in West New York, NJ that you might want to consider instead of getting a loan.

Grants for single parents in West New York

Cash Grants for Single Mothers

WorkFirst NJ (WFNJ), in partnership with TANF, provides cash assistance, job training, and educational opportunities. The General Assistance (GA) is a program for individuals with no children and the Supportive Assistance to Individuals and Families (SAIF) accepts individuals who have accomplished five years of completion. For elderly and disabled, the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) can help. To know the eligibility criteria, call 1-800-792-9773.

Food Benefits for Single Mothers

The Salvation Army Union City Corps provides soup kitchens, food pantries, and mobile feeding programs for residents of West New York. The NJ Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides cash assistance to eligible families for them to buy healthy food items. You may apply online or in person or call their hotline at 1-800-687-9512.

Food Help

Help with Shelter and Housing for Single Mothers

The Hoboken Shelter offers emergency shelters, food assistance, job training, and long-term housing for residents who face homelessness. Call them at (201) 656-5069 or email to see how they can help you.

The Social Service for the Homeless (SSH) specifically dedicates their housing services to people who do not qualify for TANF, GA or SSI. Call the nearest SSH office to apply.

Help with Energy and Utilities

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) provides help with paying utility bills. To apply, submit your application form to the nearest energy assistance agency.

Help with Telephone and Internet Bills

The LifeLine program provides discounts for Verizon phone bills. If you are eligible and wish to apply, submit your application form online.

Help with Childcare

The NJ Division of Family Development conducts Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies (CCR&Rs) which provides child care assistance for eligible families. To apply, fill out the application form. Contact them at (201) 451-8888 or If you wish to know more, call (201) 420-3000.

Help with Medical and Dental Care

Medicaid provides healthcare and dental care to eligible NJ residents. To apply, call 1-800-356-1561 or the Hudson County Dept of Family Services at (201) 420-3000.

Medical And Dental Care 2

The NJ FamilyCare helps with dental care, mental health services, preventative screenings, doctors’ visits and more. You may apply by calling 1-800-701-0710 or by visiting their website.

Help with Legal Matters

There are several free or low-cost legal aid providers concerning bankruptcy, foreclosure, domestic violence, and healthcare issues in West New York which you can find here.

Help with Financial Counseling

Financial and housing counseling including money management, credit resolutions, and foreclosure prevention is provided to eligible residents of West New York. To create an appointment, call (201) 488-5100.

Help from Other Groups

The North Hudson Community Action Corporation provides services like prescription drugs discounts, affordable housing, Head Start, and tax preparation help.

We hope that single mother residents of West New York were able to find the program that best help them from the resources above.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!