Welfare Benefits for Single Mothers

Last Updated on January 29, 2024 by Lori Pace

Single moms looking for public assistance or welfare to help you make ends meet, the good news is that many programs will assist you. We’ll show you your choices and how you can apply for help on this page.

Welfare for Single Moms


Medicaid is a government-sponsored health-care assistance program that can assist single moms in ensuring that their families are covered for medical and dental care, even though they do not have the financial means to do so. Benefits are subject to certain conditions, such as work situation and family size, but you can verify your eligibility by calling the Centers for Medicaid and CHIP at 877-267-2323. For more information, go to the website link.

School Breakfast Program

The School Breakfast Program ensures that disadvantaged children are given healthy breakfast meals daily at schools and childcare facilities. Each state receives a block grant from the program, which they use to provide meals to participating breakfast program schools. The Food and Nutrition Service, a division of the United States Department of Agriculture, oversees the program. Call the office at 703-305-2281 if you have any questions about the program. For more information, go to the website link.

National School Lunch Program

Much like the School Breakfast Program, the National School Lunch Program is a meal provision program funded at the federal level to ensure that children have access to nutritious, healthy lunches at school. These lunches can be free or low-cost, depending on the school or childcare institution that your child attends. Single mothers can enroll their children for benefits by contacting the USDA’s Communication Division at 703-305-2281. Visit the website link for more information.

Weatherization Assistance Program

The Weatherization Assistance Program, administered by the US Department of Energy, seeks to assist single mothers in lowering the cost of their home energy by supplying them with services that can help them make their homes extra energy-efficient. To apply for weatherization assistance, go to the Department of Energy’s website and select your state to fill out an online application. For more information, go to the website link.

Paid Family Leave

If you have a family emergency, the State Disability Insurance program provides Paid Family Leave and an assistance program to help you replace a part of your regular earnings. This program is open to low-income California residents who qualify. You may apply for these benefits online using the SDI Online claim form. Still, if you have any concerns, you may call the Employment Development Department of the State of California at 1-877-238-4373. For more details, go to the website link.

Local Food Banks

The Feeding America initiative displays a list of local food banks scattered across all United States territories and states. By contacting the Feeding America National Office at 800-771-2303, single mothers may register for food assistance for their families. They will guide you to a local food bank or pantry and advise you on what documents you should bring with you while visiting the pantry. Finally, to learn more, go to the website link.

Unemployment Insurance

If you’ve lost your job with no negligence of your own, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits. Though you must meet specific eligibility requirements before a claim can be accepted, you can verify your qualification by calling the UI Self-Service Center at 1-866-333-4606. For more relevant data, go to the website link.

Women, Infants, and Children Program

WIC is a federally financed health and nutrition program that aims to give pregnant and breastfeeding women and their children the support they need to keep healthy. Food packages, health checks, counseling, and nutritional education workshops are all possible benefits. If you are a single mom with children under the age of five, contact the NWA National Office at 202-232-5492 to apply for WIC. However, for more information, go to the website link.

The Emergency Food Assistance Program

If her family meets the eligibility criteria, TEFAP will help supplement a single mom’s food supplies. Because this program gets funds from the government, you’ll need to contact the Food and Nutrition Service Office of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Similarly, they will help if you have any questions or need assistance with your application. You can call 800-779-7162 to reach the office. For more information, go to the website link.

Child Care Assistance Program

Working single moms may be eligible for the Office of Child Care’s CCAP initiative’s early childhood and after-school care programs. Call the Office of Child Care at 202-690-6782 to see if you are eligible for assistance or to find your closest Children and Families Office. For more information, you can also visit the website link.

In conclusion, we hope this page has helped demonstrate where and how single moms can apply for welfare and public assistance.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!