Single Mothers Assistance in Seattle

Last Updated on September 13, 2023 by Lori Pace

These are the companies and organizations that can help those living in Seattle that needs assistance, like single mothers.

Seattle assistance for single mothers

Seattle City Light assists Single Parents

These are Seattle City Light’s variety of programs:

  • Project Share: supports single mothers and families in need
  • Utility Discount Program: gives discounts to households struggling financially that meets income requirements and are not under other federal housing subsidy. They provide 50% discounts on other utilities (water, sewer, and garbage) and free home visits to assess your home.

Visit their website or call 206-684-3000 or 206-684-3417 to learn more.

Tacoma Public Utilities/Tacoma Power

These are Tacoma Public Utilities’ programs:

  • Discount Rate Program : for those 62 and above, and on a disability benefit
  • Water & Environmental Services Assistance : A program that can be applied for once a year if you’ve settled all balances with Tacoma Power
  • Tacoma PowerAid Program : those with permanent heating equipment and not benefiting from the Discount Rate Program are qualified.

Visit their website or call 253-502-8600 to learn more.

Puget Sound Energy (PSE)

The PSE supports LIHEAP and Home Energy Lifeline Program (HELP) that provides assistance in paying for utility bills. They offer the Weatherization Assistance Program for qualified single mothers and families that need to reduce their energy consumption to have lower energy bills. The program has free services: insulation, sealing and caulking of air leaks, as well as lighting and refrigerator replacement. Your net monthly income will greatly affect the result of qualifications. Contact your local agency to get more assistance. Visit their website or call 1-888-225-5773 to learn more.

HEN – Housing and Essential Needs       

The HEN program provides cash assistance through checks given directly to your landlord or utility company. However, the program’s availability is based on funds. Applicants must present a government-issued photo ID, a utility bill, a disconnection notice, or a late payment notice. Telephone, cable, and internet bills are not part of the program. Visit their website or call 206-328-5755 to learn more.


Their Energy Assistance and Home Heating Program helps with subsidizing heating costs or poor communities through LIHEAP or PSE HELP. Program starts on the beginning of fall season.

  • LIHEAP – income should be at or below 125% of the federal poverty level to qualify
  • PSE HELP –  income should be at or below 150% of the federal poverty level to qualify

Check if your service area is within qualified Seattle zip codes and if you meet income requirements for the last three months. Visit their website to learn more and call 1-800-348-7144 to book an appointment. Contact 206-812-4940 for emergency assistance.

St. Luke’s Church

Their Operation Blessing program offers help in paying for bills of low-income residents in Federal Way School District. Bills in mortgage, rent, and utilities are covered under the program. The program runs by funds given by its members through donations. Visit their website or call 253-941-3000 to learn more.


Hopelink offers help with applications for LIHEAP and PSE HELP. Requirements are:

  • Proof of income
  • Social Security Card
  • Photo ID
  • Proof of Address (must be living in any of zip codes in service of Hopelink)
  • Current Utility Bill

Call 1-800-348-7144 to book an appointment and bring the documentation listed above. Visit their website or call 425-869-6000 to learn more.

North Helpline

North Helpline assists low-income single mothers and families in zip codes: 98125, 98133, 98155 and 98177 through their Emergency Services program. The program helps those getting evicted or having their utility disconnected. Visit their website or call 206-365-8043 to learn more.

West Seattle Helpline  

West Seattle Helpline offers a one-time assistance program to those in West Seattle that have a utility service disconnection. The program can only be used once in a year and you must be living in zip codes: 98106, 98116, 98126, 98136, or 98146. Bring as identification, proof of income, and utility bill to qualify for the program. Visit their website or call 206-932-4357 to learn more.

Asking for help is nothing to be shameful for, get assistance today.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!