Free Daycare For Single Mothers

Last Updated on January 31, 2024 by Lori Pace

Single mothers today often work full-time and may even go to school, so child care is essential. It can also be very expensive. There are programs that offer child care assistance or free daycare for single mothers at both the local and state levels.

Free Daycare Programs For Single Mothers

Head Start Free Daycare For Single Mothers

Head Start, a federal program that offers educational, nutritional and healthcare services for low-income children, is called the Head Start Program. Single mothers can prepare their preschoolers to succeed in elementary school. 

You can use the online locator tool or call 1-866-763-6481 to locate a Head Start center near you. 

Early Head Start

Head Start for toddlers and infants is Early Head Start. This program offers resources to children who are low-income or disadvantaged. To locate a Head Start center near you, use the locator in their website. 

Chafee Foster Care Independent Living

Foster care children can transition to adulthood through the John H. Chafee Foster Care Independence Program. They are supported in finding work, getting an education, and finding housing. The Educational and Training Vouchers Program provides $5,000 annually in vouchers to help with job training and education. For more information or to locate a child welfare agency in your area, visit the link. Call 1-800-394-3366 or visit their website for assistance.

Child And Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)

The Child and Adult Care Food Program provides healthy meals for children, seniors, and disabled daycare residents. States administer the federal assistance program, which provides free or reduced-cost meals for eligible children and adults. You can apply through the State agency or daycare center sponsoring the program. 

Child And Adult Care Food Program Cacfp

Child And Dependent Care Credit Program

You may be eligible for the Child and Dependent Care Credit tax credit. This tax credit can be applied to your federal income tax return. If you care for a dependent such as a child, or an adult who is mentally or physically disabled, you may be eligible. 

You can view the IRS website for additional qualifications and find a tax professional. For more information, visit their website or call 800-829-376 to obtain a form.

Child Care Access Program

Single mothers can access affordable child care services through the Child Care Access Means Parents in Schools Program (CCAMPIS). Parents with low incomes can attend college or university while their children are taken care of on campus. Grants are available to qualified applicants for up to four years of schooling. Visit their website for more information about Child Care Access or contact a representative at (202) 453-7121 or

Child Tax Credit Free Daycare Program For Single Mothers

Based on your income and child’s qualifications, the Child Tax Credit can provide up to $1,000. You must file the instructions and federal income tax return. Additional assistance is available at low-income taxpayer clinics in your locality. For more information, visit their website.

Social Services Block Grant (SSBG)

Social Services Block Grants (SSBG), a program that provides a variety of social services for low-income communities, offers a broad range of services. Services that are most commonly offered include child and adult daycares, independent living counseling, job training, and adoption centers. Each state has its own eligibility requirements and different types of services. 

Social Services Block Grant Ssbg 2

Local welfare offices can provide services for single mothers. For more information and links to SSBG officials within your state, visit their website.

Special Improvement Project Grant Provides Free Daycare For Single Mothers

Special Improvement Project (SIP grant) provides funding for national and state child support programs. Single parents can get the help of the state to pursue the child support they require. Contact or 1-800-518-4726 for grant application services. For more information, please visit their website.

Special Education Parent Training And Information (PTI) Centers Program

Single mothers with disabled children can benefit from the Special Education Parent Training and Information Centers Program. They are provided with support to help the child develop his academic and independent living skills. 

You can choose one of three types to apply: parent training and information, community parent resource centers, or technical assistance for parent centers. For more information, visit their website.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!