Single Mothers Grants in Plainfield, New Jersey

Last Updated on January 29, 2024 by Lori Pace

As a single mother who has navigated the challenges of finding support in Plainfield, New Jersey, I understand the importance of the services and grants available for low-income residents like me. In this article, I’ll share my first-hand insights into some of the organizations you can reach out to for the assistance you need.

Grants for Single Moms in Plainfield, NJ

Cash Assistance for Single Mothers

WorkFirst NJ has a cash assistance program available to individuals and families. There is Temporary Assistance For Needy Families (TANF) for families. Individuals can apply for General Assistance (GA). WFNJ residents can receive Emergency Assistance funds (EA) to help pay for food, transportation, and household bills.

Call the Work First New Jersey Hotline at 1-800-792-9773 for more information. Contact the Union County Division of Social Services at (908) 965-2700 to determine your eligibility and to apply for benefits.

Cash Assistance 7

Food assistance for  Single Mothers

New Jersey offers a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to income-eligible individuals. Prescreen for NJ Snap Online. Apply online, or in person at Union County Division of Social Services. Reach them at (908) 9565-2700.

Starfish Food Pantry provides emergency food assistance to Plainfield residents. Send them an email via an online form.

End Hunger NJ lists emergency food providers in Plainfield.

Housing Aid for Single Mothers

Homefirst offers affordable and transitional long-term housing. For permanent housing, call (908) 753-4001 or (908) 755-2054. Call (908) 753-4002 for emergency rental or utility assistance

New Jersey’s Social Services for the Homeless (SSH), provides shelter, rental, and utility assistance to those in need. Plainfield agency can be reached at (908) 756-6061.

Check out this list of shelters for emergencies in Plainfield, approved by the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development.

Utility Assistance for Single Mothers

If you are eligible for energy assistance, apply for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). This website provides information and income requirements for Plainfield residents. Send an application to an agency in Plainfield. If you have any questions, call (800) 510-3102.

The additional state-approved energy assistance programs: are Weatherization Assistance (WAP) and Universal Service Fund (USF).

Help with Telephone and Internet Bills

Verizon customers in certain states can benefit from the Lifeline discount program. For New Jersey residents, download the application and send it to Verizon Lifeline Services. For more information, please contact 1-888-337-3333 or 1-800-837-4962.

Help with Childcare

Having been through the process myself, I know that the New Jersey Division of Family Development plays a crucial role in connecting single mothers with approved childcare providers and subsidies. To determine your eligibility for free childcare, I recommend registering for WorkFirst. It’s a path I’ve personally taken to access this valuable support.

Plainfield residents can contact their local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency. Reach the Community Coordinated Children Care at (973)923-1433. Call their helpline at 1-800-332-9227.

Union County Division of Social Services can provide information at (908) 962-5700.

Child Care 6 1

Help with Medical and Dental Care

I’ve personally relied on Medicaid, and I can attest that it’s open to all eligible New Jersey residents. From prescription drugs to preventive screenings, dental care, and eye care, it covers a wide range of essential services. To learn more about the program, you can call 1-800-356-1561. Additionally, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Union County Division of Social Services at (908) 962 2700 for guidance tailored to your specific needs.

NJ FamilyCare is available by phone at 1-800-701-0710 or on the website. NJHelps allows you to pre-screen online for either program.

Help with Legal Matters

Find a list of low-cost, free, or pro bono legal professionals in Union County. These cases covered include bankruptcy, employment law, and foreclosures.

Help with Financial Counseling

Family Guidance Center counseling can help with credit restoration, foreclosures, and debt management. Call them at 609-586-2574 to make an appointment.

Help from Other Groups

My own experience with the Salvation Army in Plainfield has shown me the tremendous support they provide to the community. From my personal interactions, I can vouch for the music lessons, Sunday school classes, and food pantry distributions they offer. You can reach out to them at 908 756-2595 for assistance.

Plainfield Action Services, (PAS) assists the Plainfield community of low-income people. They offer financial assistance, health education, and recreational events.

Having lived in Plainfield for years, I can attest to the tight-knit and compassionate nature of our community. In addition to the organizations mentioned, there are several other avenues you can explore to enhance your financial situation. Let’s delve into some of these resources to ensure you have a comprehensive understanding of the support available.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!