Section 811 Housing For People With Disabilities

Section 811 Housing For People With Disabilities

Last Updated on April 24, 2022 by Anne-Sophie Reinhardt

People with disabilities need housing that can accommodate their needs. It’s challenging to fund these needs, especially if you’re from a very low-income family. But that’s why Section 811 Housing for People with Disabilities exists. However, they only help those in a very low-income family, not those with a low income or moderate income.

What is Section 811?

Section 811 allows disabled persons to live independently in their communities by providing rental housing subsidies that provide support services. Two ways are the Section 811 program authorized to operate:

  • Providing interest-free capital advances
  • Operating subsidies and operating subsidies for nonprofit developers of affordable housing.

Also, providing rental assistance to state housing authorities.

Who is eligible for this program?

Projects funded by capital advances, supported by rental assistance contracts (PRACs), must have very low income (within 50% of the area’s median income) and at least one member with a disability (such a developmental or physical disability or chronic mental illness).

Project Rental Assistance projects require residents to be extremely poor (within 30%t of the area’s median income) and have at least one disabled adult household member.

Difference Between Section 811 And Section 8

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) run many programs. HUD provides housing for people with disabilities in a variety of ways. Over the years, Section 811 and tenant-based Section 8 programs set housing vouchers have been set aside for people with disabilities by

HUD has provided capital advances without interest to non-profit sponsors to finance the development and maintenance of rental housing, including independent living projects, condominium units, tiny group homes and homes that provide support services for persons with disabilities. A capital advance is for financing the construction, rehabilitation, acquisition, and rehabilitation of supportive housing. As long as housing is available for persons with disabilities who are very low-income for at least 40 years, they don’t have to pay back the advance.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who to contact for additional queries and information: Contact 202-708-1112
  • How to apply for the program: Submit an application responding to the NOFA in the Federal Register each year. Moreover, visit the website for details.
  • What are other supports for low-income families or single moms: There are also supports in dental services, beds and mattresses, laptops, etc

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top