Single Mothers Grants in Winchester, Virginia

Last Updated on January 30, 2024 by Lori Pace

This page was made to find single mother hardship grants for residents of Winchester – this information will help get assistance with money, food, and other basic necessities for them and their families.

Winchester single mother grants

Cash Assistance

The Auxiliary Grant (AF) provides cash assistance to eligible individuals or those who are eligible for the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and assisted living. Call (540) 662-3807 to apply through CommonHelp or visit their website to know more about the program.

Help with Food

The Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) or food stamps provides food assistance to residents of Virginia. Contact your DSS office or visit their website to apply. 

The Congregational Community Action Project (CCAP) provides food pantries to the homeless and individuals who are registered for the program. If you wish to know more or apply for the program, visit their website.

Food Help 2

Help with Shelter and Housing

The Virginia Easy Access provides a directory of where to get accessible housing. The Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA) can be contacted as well to know about rental assistance and affordable home repairs. Call 2-1-1 or visit their website to know more.

Help with Energy and Utilities

The DSS provides eligible single mothers with discounted utility bills. This includes heating or cooling emergencies, weatherization, and housing repairs. To apply, you can mail an application or visit personally your DSS office or apply online using CommonHelp.

Help with Telephone and Internet Bills

SafeLink Wireless provides free no-contract phone bills for eligible individuals. Call 1-800-723-3546 for a mailed or faxed application or you may apply on their website

Help with Childcare

The DSS provides child care assistance by giving subsidies to eligible single mothers to pay for a licensed childcare provider. Call your local DSS agency to apply or visit their website if you want to know more.

Child Care 3

Help with Medical and Dental Care

Medicare and Medicaid offer healthcare services to the elderly and eligible families, respectively. You may apply through CommonHelp or visit a DSS office personally. 

Help with Legal Matters

Virginia Legal Aid Society provides free or low-cost legal counsel in areas regarding debtors, the elderly, employees, domestic violence victims, healthcare patients, and public assistance. Call LawLine at 1-866-534-5243 or visit their website to see how they can help you.

Help with Financial Counseling

Winchester has certified professionals that give financial counseling regarding money management, investment or retirement planning, and college funding. Contact (540) 662-4642 or to apply. Visit their website to know more.

Help From Other Groups

The Salvation Army of Winchester provides a variety of services for single mothers and their children. To know how they are able to help you, visit their website.

Keep the resources above in mind so you will know what organizations and programs you can turn to in your time of need.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!