Help for Single Mothers in Kentucky

Last Updated on January 29, 2024 by Lori Pace

Kentucky is called the “Bluegrass State” because of the bluegrass grass that grows in its many pastures. The Bluegrass Region, located in central Kentucky and home to two major cities: Lexington and Louisville, is one of the most important regions of the state. The state is home to a variety of environments and resources. These include the longest cave system in the world: Mammoth Cave National Park; the largest navigable waterways, streams, and rivers in the contiguous United States; and the two biggest man-made lakes East of the Mississippi River. In this article, we will discuss some financial aid and other assistance to help single mothers in Kentucky.

Kentucky’s economy is now important in other areas, such as auto manufacturing, fuel production, and medical facilities. This state, despite having a strong economy, has created special programs for single mothers. These programs are aimed at the population with low income. You will find a few of them described in detail below:

Transitional Assistance Program (K-Tap)

Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program is a monetary assistance program that Kentucky established using Federal funds through the TANF block grant (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). K-TAP offers financial and medical aid to Kentucky’s needy children and their parents or relatives. K-TAP helps families get jobs or training that will lead to a career.

A family is only allowed to receive K-TAP for 60 months (5 years) of their lifetime. Each month that a K-TAP-eligible family receives counts towards the 60-month cap. It is not necessary for a family to receive K-TAP continuously for 60 months. A family could, for example, get K-TAP for 24 months and then stop. The same family may receive 36 more months later.

K-TAP payments are determined by the size of the family and their income. Kentucky Works may offer additional services, such as transportation and childcare assistance. Relocation Assistance, Educational Bonuses, Work Incentive Bonuses, and Employment Retention Assistance are also available to K-TAP beneficiaries.

Kentucky Medical Program

The Kentucky Medical Program provides medical and health assistance to low-income individuals and families that do not have medical insurance, or who have insufficient medical coverage. The program is primarily for people 65 and older, blind or permanently handicapped people, members of families who have dependent children, children in foster homes, or pregnant women.

You must qualify as a low- or very-low-income resident of Kentucky. You must be a resident of Kentucky, a U.S. national, citizen, or permanent resident in need of health care/insurance assistance, and your financial situation must be characterized as low or very low income.

Kentucky Children’s Health Insurance Program (KCHIP)

Kentucky Children’s Health Insurance Program provides health insurance at no cost or for a low price to Kentucky’s kids. KCHIP provides coverage for everything from prescriptions to checkups, broken bones, booster shots, eyeglasses, hearing aids, hospital care, dental care, and more.

To qualify for the program, you need to be a Kentucky resident, under 19, not covered by insurance (including Medicaid), and a U.S. citizen, legal immigrant, or permanent resident. Visit their website to download an application or to request one, for more information about the application process, and to find telephone numbers to call if you have questions or need assistance.

Unemployment Insurance

Kentucky’s Unemployment Insurance benefits provide temporary financial support to unemployed workers who are not at fault.

To qualify for the Kentucky Benefit Program, you must have worked within Kentucky in the last 12-18 months and earned a minimum wage as per our guidelines. You must be able to and willing to work every week you collect benefits.

Health Access Nurturing Development Services (Hands)

Hands (Kentucky Health Access Nurturing Development Services) supports families in creating healthy and safe environments to promote optimal child development. Kentucky Health Access Nurturing Development Services is a home visitation program that helps new parents and pregnant mothers in all aspects of their baby’s growth. They will help you through your pregnancy, and for the first two years your baby is alive. 

Kentucky Health Access Nurturing Development Services will answer your questions at every stage of your baby’s development, from pregnancy to the fantastic twos. Enrollment is only possible during pregnancy or if your baby is under three months of age. To enroll in HANDS, you must contact the local HANDS service in your area.

Kentucky Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program

Kentucky offers several rental assistance programs that help families in Kentucky find affordable rental housing. The Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV) is the most common. HCV is only available to tenants who earn no more than 80% of the median income of their area. In general, tenants pay no more than 30% of the rent of their income.

Contact Kentucky Housing Corporation if you’re interested in applying. Please contact your local HUD office for further assistance.

Kentucky Housing Corporation

Kentucky Home Repair Program

Kentucky, also known as Section 504 Home Repair Program (or a very low-income homeowner loan program), provides loans for homeowners with incomes below 50% of the median area income. The loans can be used to improve, modernize or repair homes, or to remove hazards to health and safety.

Section 504 provides grants of up to $7500 for elderly homeowners with very low incomes, aged 62 and older, who cannot repay a loan to repair their home.

Single Family Housing Staff
(859) 224-7322

Kentucky College Access Program Grant 

The College Access Program Grant (CAP) is available to Kentucky’s financially-needy students who attend at least a half-time approved college or university. The Expected Family Contribution, as determined by FAFSA must be at least $4995. Students who qualify may receive up to $2,000 a year.

You must submit a Free Application of Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for the CAP. The funds are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Therefore, early filing is recommended.

Kentucky Tuition Grant

Kentucky Tuition Grant (KTG), a need-based grant, is available to Kentucky residents who attend private colleges in the state. Students with financial need, as determined by FAFSA, can receive up to $2960.

The funds are limited, and they are awarded on a “first-come-first-served” basis. So, be sure to submit your FAFSA application as soon as possible after October 1, for priority consideration.

Bottom Line: Help For Single Mothers In Kentucky

There is a big variety to choose from when it comes to asking for assistance. The federal government and nonprofits work hard to support the community they are in, the best that they can. To learn more about other assistance offered to help single mothers in the state of Kentucky, visit these articles:

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!